Admission to the Bachelor in Visual Communication - Graphic Design, Photography, Media & Interaction Design and Film Studies - is subject to an aptitude test intended to evaluate the candidate’s artistic and creative abilities.
Some candidates entitled to take the aptitude test may feel that their artistic and creative abilities are still insufficiently developed. In this case, the ECAL recommends that they sit the Foundation Year entrance exam.
The school evaluates title's equivalences. This procedure being relatively long, a request of examination must be submitted by email to ECAL Secretariat until March 29 2018 the latest.
- Maturity Certificate or Professional Maturity certificate (vocational diploma) or certificate from a recognised three-year school of general education (ECG), each to be accompanied by a CFC (General Federal Certificate of Vocational Education) in the field of Visual Communication (according to list)
- Maturity certificate or Professional Maturity certificate, plus at least one year's vocational activity in the field of Visual Communication or a Foundation Year successfully completed at the ECAL (or another recognised higher-education establishment of art and design)
- Specialized Maturity certificate in art and design
- equivalent foreign certificate (e.g. French baccalauréat S, L or ES or high-school leaving certificate)
The candidates who lack one year's professional experience in a field corresponding to the chosen Bachelor or a Foundation Year successfully completed at the ECAL (or another recognised higher-education establishment of art and design) must register for the Foundation Year entrance exam.
Online registration until 24 April 2018. The registration will only be considered subject to payment of the registration fee of CHF 150.-.
As part to their online registration, the candidates send to the ECAL an electronic application (PDF) consisting of administrative and personal items.
The administrative file contains :
- a curriculum vitae
- a copy of passport or identity card
- a copy of required qualifications (an authentic translation is required for languages other than French, German, Italian and English).
The personal file contains :
- a statement discussing the work, educational experience and intellectual interests
- a portfolio of personal works (or professional samples for the candidates who already achieved a training in the same field), including a maximum of 15 files/documents. Movies presentation or other motion pictures, limited to a duration of 3 minutes, are only possible through Vimeo or Youtube channels.
After consideration of the electronic applications, a jury will select the candidates for a practical and theoretical test from 18 to 22 May 2018, then for an interview at ECAL between 23 and 25 May. The instructions of the test and the invitation to the interview will be notified by email.
Results are sent out by mail and/or email from 1st June 2018. Admitted candidates to the Bachelor in Visual Communication - Graphic Design, Photography, Media & Interaction Design and Film Studies, must confirm their registration at ECAL no later than 11 June 2018.
The ECAL Secretariat (Tel. +41 (0)21.316.99.39 - email@example.com) is happy to provide any additional information.